Apr 30, 2010

iPad sHmipad

Ok...let me start off by saying this.  I love Apple.  I love their products, I love their ad campains, I own a lot of their products.  The newest bit of Apple tech, the Apple iPad is released here in Canada on May 29th, 2010.  Here's the thing...I COULD CARE LESS ABOUT THE APPLE IPAD.  I mean, what is this thing really for?  It seems completely like a useless piece of tech..nothing but pure, unadultarated gadgetry...look at this thing
It looks like something a guard would carry in a futuristic prison break movie, like if they remade "The Running Man" or something. Which, with current trends, is bound to happen sooner or later, it's just a matter of time, but I digress.  It's not really good for editing images, it's not really meant to be used for data entry or word processing. It's basically an iPod Touch on Steroids from the look of this thing, right down to the "home" button on the bottom.  Even Jon Stewart, who also loves Apple's products joked about it, calling  this thing "the even bigger iPhone that doesn't make calls"...I believe he also then made some sort of joke about how he uses it to make his children think he's shrinking.  Love it.  I'm not going to use this thing to browse the internet or play music, I'd need a backpack to carry the monstrosity.  I can see, possibly, maybe, perhaps,  that watching a movie on it may be ok, but really...there are other ways.

I've even seen it used on one of those entertainment news shows by one of the anchors.  Picture this... Sicily, 1930....oh wait...didn't mean to go all "Golden Girls" on you all.  Sorry.  But Picture this...camera shot over the shoulder of the entertainment show anchor as he talks about photos of celebs canoodleing at a restaurant having dinner, all the while manipulating these photos on the iPad he's holding in his hand.  Using dramatic finger sweeps to move through the photos and very stilish pinching movements to zoom in and out.  I'm sorry...but this is a blatant product placement, not to mention a vain attempt to make a piece of tech appear useful when it really isn't....what a load of sea pickle.  All in an attempt to appear "trendy" and "current" to their viewers.  I just sat in my recliner and shook my head (I think my wife thought I was coming down with the parkinson's is was shaking so hard) and in the end..it's so light weight, it wouldn't even make a good boat anchor...sigh.

I can tell you this, in all certainty, I will NEVER, NEVER, EVER be buying the iPad, or as I prefer to call it...iPaperweight.

No comments: