Mar 20, 2011

Toronto Comic-Con 2011...AWESOME!!!

"I am NOT the Droid you're looking for"
Hello fellow geeks.  I am writing you now just a little geekier, a little happier and a little more tired.  

My family and I just got back from our first comic-con in Toronto.  What a cool event.  My wife and I had a great time.  My little princess may have been a little young to appreciate the entire thing, but she was relatively content most of the time so no complainants.
Whew...being Rebel Scum, even Baby Rebel Scum is Stressful
Peter Mayhew signing my photo
When we first got there I was quite shocked to see just how wide open and laid back the whole thing was.  The minute I walked in the first person I see is no other than Peter "Chewbacca" Mayhew so being the Star Wars geek that I am I  Immediately went up to his booth and got him to sign a Photo for me.  Not very chatty but was cool to meet him.


Next we wandered around for a while...checking out some of the booths...scoping out the joint as it were.  We wandered through the artists area to check out the art work to see if I could find some new decorations for my "Man-Cave".  There was so much neat stuff I had a hard time picking just a couple.  I knew that Ray Park was going to be signing so I kind of had my eye on a print that had both Darth Maul from Star Wars Episode I and Snake Eyes from G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra in it.  I was afraid if I just went ahead and bought it I might find something better, I know...chicken.  I figured I wanted to scope out the line first so off we headed to his table.


Ray Park, being one of the more popular celebrities to appear, had a pretty long line so I decided to bite the bullet and just go for it, when was I going to get the chance again right?  So, as I had begun to soundly kick my own ass for not buying the print for him to sign yet, my beautiful yet awesome wife offered to run over for me while I held my place in line.  So I waited...nearly an hour...to get just a minute of small talk and maybe a picture with the man.  


Class Act....ALL THE WAY!!!
What I thought would be a minute or two of small talk turned into nearly five.  He engaged my daughter and for a minute I thought she was even going to go to him for a picture.  Unfortunately her shyness got the better of her but she was good as gold with him.  I can not say enough good things about Mr. Park.  What a nice, down to earth and friendly guy.  I'm serious, he didn't once make me feel like "Ok fatboy, I just signed your thing...NEXT" just the opposite.  We talked about our kids and my love of Star Wars, and he even complimented my print that he so graciously signed for me.  He even stepped out from his seat to take a photo.  As we were leaving he realized he didn't ask for my daughter's name and even called after me to ask.  He really seemed genuinely interested, a very pleasant surprise for sure..and I even think my wife may have blushed a little when he shot her a smile and started talking to her as well.  To quote her "He is quite a good looking man"


We also caught glimpses of several stars, even though we didn't get a chance to have them all sign something, it was still really cool to see them in the flesh.








Screech from "Saved by the Bell" aka Dustin Diamond




















Lando Calrissian aka Billy Dee Williams from Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi

















And of course the beautiful Julie Benz from Buffy, Dexter, and most recently the TV series No Ordinary Family.








This weekend was probably one of the best ever.  I can safely say that Comic-Con Toronto will become an annual thing for me and my family from now on.


MAY THE FARCE BE WITH YOU

1 comment:

dave w said...

Sounds like a good time was had by all. Thanks for the Julie Benz pictures

Dave W